Thursday, August 20, 2009

Posting from Beijing





Thought for today.
"Peace. It can only come fom the Fountain within"

I am really disappointed. I have just spent a good hour writing this post and the whole thing was deleted. Forgot to save as draft.Now I have to do it all over again.

Today is my third day in Beijing. Arrived on Tuesday morning on flight MH037 Malaysian onAirline System. It was an uneventful though pleasant flight. I was surprised that my grandsons' request for a play kit was not granted. The reason being that they did not carry this on the flight. I wonder why this is so for I had pre booked the seats for these two young travellers.

The weather yesterday was rainy and cloudy. I took some interesting pictures in Tiananmen Square. They were pictures of rivers of umbrellas...endless streams of people with unbrellas, going into the Forbidden City, long queues waiting to enter the Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao Tse Tung, and many other people going to other tourist sites.

As for me , I was disappointed for my intended visit to the National Museum was in vain. We were not aware that renovations are ongoing until the year 2010. But I was lucky to visit the Beijing Urban Planning Exhibition Hall. It well worth a visit for the centre is well curated with the state of the art technology. Also, one can see the proactive projects that have been carried out in this fast developing and dynamic city. It is encouraging that great emphasis have been given to environmental protection, water recycling, power conservation, and modern housing and other amenities.

After this visit, I had a relaxing time at our favourite spa and massage centre-the Bodhi essence in Somerset Garden Service Apartment in Chaoyang District. The service as well as the ambience is good food for the body and mind.

Today, the weather is hot and sunny. I took a walk to the local street market. It is interesting to observe the lifestyle of the local folks. The food they eat is basic, nothing fancy. The common food items sold here consisted of pork, chicken, resh vegetables, soya products, and preserved vegetables.

Ian and Aidan loves 'chian peng' a local pancake. I will describe how this is made later.

No comments:

Post a Comment