Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Snatch thieves

Thought for today.
"Every calamity is a spur and valuable hint"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson(Fate)

It was most unfortunate that I was a victim of a snatch thief. I was walking towards my car parked infront of the railway station in Taiping. As I sat on the drivers seat I placed my handbag which contained a wallet and a cell phone on the seat next to me. Before I could lock my car from the inside, someone opened the door. I thought that he was going to ask for directions but in a split second he grabbed my bag, uttered "sorry" and slammed the door. I jumped out of the car hoping to beg for my cards, but he had raced away on his fancy looking red motor bike.

As this was my first experience as a victim I was terribly shaken. Still I managed to drive straight to the police station to make a report. I was evry impressed with the "counter service" at the police station. The police officers on duty were very helpful...they allowed me to call my husband and also connected me to the banks to cancel the cards. I was relieved and thankful for I never thought that they would go out of their normal duties to help a victim!! Cheers to them!!

Everyone seems to have a story or two on their experiences or experiences of a friend or relative who have been unfortunate to have their bags or wallets snatched. This makes us wonder why all this is happening so frequently and openly. We can merely speculate on the reasons but what is important for us is to cope with this social problem. Friendly advice have included among the obvious- like not carry a handbag, lock the doors of your car, do not put your handbag on the passenger seat, etc-all measures amounting to being extra careful at our personal level. I suppose this is the best we can do and avoid being paranoid when we are in public places!! We have really lost our freedom and peace of mind in this unsafe envorinment.

No comments:

Post a Comment