Friday, October 9, 2009

After Sydney and Melborne










Baba's thought for today.

"Through the media of films, books, music
and the behaviour of elders, young minds are
excited and aroused into indulgences."

After four days in Sydney and four days in Melbourne I am back to share my experiences in these two Australian cities.

Before my departure for Sydney, I was forewarned of chilly weather. But on arrival on the first of October, I was greeted with very hot weather. We hopped on the Sydney hop-on-hop-off bus (picture 1)and headed for Bondi Beach. (picture 2)

The clear blue waters of the bay with the white sands and strong surf beating towards the shore were greatly appreciated by the 'sun worshippers'. The beach was crowded with people sun bathing while the surfers had a hey day on their surf boards. Unfortunately for us we were not prepared for the hot weather, clad in jeans, without any hats or umbrellas or sun block. Being shy of the blazing sun, I tried to shield myself from the scorching sun with my scarf. I must have been a real sight to behold but for me self protection is more important than public opinion!!

As I stood in the shade of a tree and watched this scene, I wondered to myself why Australian were still heading for Bali when they have such beautiful beaches and surf at their doorstep. This brings me to today's reflections. The power of the mass media with their aggressive promotions of holiday destinations have lured people to such places when sometimes similar experiences can be obtained at home or nearer home. But people still feel the need to indulge themselves with expensive and exotic holidays for reason know only to themselves. Therefore it is up to the individual to make their own choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment