Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Temple of Heaven





Baba's thought for today.

"All things in creation are subjected to
the law of change and man too is subject
to this law."


This quote is at tandem with the Buddhists philosophy that what is important is the present. Be mindful of the present for everything is impermanent.

On my last day in Beijing I visited the Temple of Heaven again,my fourth since 2004. It was a fine morning Monday so I decided to take a leisurely stroll into this historic place...to feel the 'chi'of the sacred grounds where the Emperors of ancient China came to worship and made offerings for good harvests.

I had a refreshing walk and also exchanged tourist news with three young Indian men from Hongkong. I was surprised that as I walked out to the North gate, I was accompanied by a Chinese women and we could make polite conversation...all with my limited Chinese vocabulary!!

The pictures of the Temple of Heaven were taken from the outside...a different angle!!In the other picture taken 2 years ago one can see the grandeur of wooden architeture that has survived for so long.

The picture of the tree shows the Nine Dragons tree.It is a 500 year old juniper tree and the trunk is twisted. This grotesque trunk has 9 vertical spinal grooves resembling dragons reaching for the sky. Hence the name. I overheard a guide explain to some European tourists that the 'chi' is strong around this tree. So I tried, but I did not feel anything!!Maybe not my day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment